Re: Why -g flag?

Shaleh wrote:
> Also, we are using -g and -O2 on quite a few -- which is practically useless.

No, debugging a program compiled with -O2 works quite well.  Sometimes
the flow of control jumps around unexpectedly, that's all.

> -g is nice for testing, but daily apps are not benefitting that much.

The idea is to build the program with -g -O2, then install it in the
debian/tmp tree and strip it.  That gets you the following advantages:

   - The installed binary is stripped and fully optimized.
   - It's easy to get an unstripped binary: just run debian/build,
     no makefile tinkering necessary.
   - The unstripped binary is useful for debugging core files generated
     by the installed binary.

This is all described in the policy manual, section 4.1.

Richard Braakman