RE: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Shaleh wrote:

> b) Most of GNOME is controlled by Red Hat, so no, they wont give a flying flip
> if we drop it -- see the KDE thing.

That is just BS (the first part) - Red Hat does not control it. They do
write a lot of code, and that impacts the direction things go in. But
Miguel makes the decisions. For example, Red Hat wanted 1.0 last month,
and it did not happen; Miguel is planning 1.0 for later this month. So
they are either delaying their next release or their next release won't
have 1.0 in it, and they aren't happy about it.

There are hundreds of Gnome developers, 6 of them are at Red Hat, one of
the 6 (Owen) works almost exclusively on Gtk, another (Raster) almost
exclusively on E. That leaves 4.

Anyway, I think this is a silly thing to think/say. Red Hat has been very
good about not trying to run things.

Havoc