Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 01:05:24PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> Let's face it.  Gnome sucks.  I don't know if I can count how many gnome
> versions we have in slink/potato.  And then we have libaries that depend on
> gnome, and if a program depends on these secondary libraries, then you have to
> try and diddle around just to get it to compile.

Since when do we remove things from the project just because they are
actively being developed? And last I checked the gnome in slink works
perfectly fine. As does the one in potato, just cause <insert random gnome
app that hasn't been recompiled yet> doesn't work is no reason to be
throwing a fit about something that doesn't really concern you. (e.g. I don't
think you maintain any gnome packages).

> I propose that gnome be removed from slink, until the gnome developers get a
> clue.  Maybe a distribution removing there pet project will be the clue bat
> they need.  They seem not to care about the rest of the world.

I don't think that's your decision or anyone else's to make. It's up the the
maintainers of the gnome packages to decide if they want it or not.

> Adam
>
> Now, as to why I cc'd policy.  There is a more serious issue at stake.  All
> these gnome libs and dev pkgs are quite confusing.  Users have a hard time
> deciding what they need.  And gnome hasn't even released 1.0 yet.  With gnome
> having major internal changes, on almost a daily basis, and then having those
> changes put in debs, leads to great confusion.

Yes, but if we removed every package that caused confusion we would end up
removing a few hundred or so.

> No other library has so many versions.
>
> Gnome might be stable, and not have segfaults/crashes.  But having it change
> so often is not good.  Debian needs to pick 1(one, uno) version of gnome, and
> stick with it.  Not these infinitely different versions.

Pick one? So we should just stick with gnome 0.30 which is several months old just
so we can give people another reason to claim debian is outdated, there is a good idea.

Get real, if the maintainers want to maintain gnome then let them. No one
is forcing you to use the packages.

|Stephen Crowley      stephenc@wf.net, crow@debian.org      |
|Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org                 |
|GPG Key              http://va.debain.org/~crow/public.key |