Re: Policy question

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 06:21:14PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> In fact, you don't mean that it needs to run setuid.  It merely needs
> to be run _as_ a particular uid.  There are several ways of achieving
> this other than setuid.  Two that I can think of that I'd recommend to
> you are:
>
> * userv, which Wichert has already mentioned.

I must have missed that; do you have a URL?

> * Most MTA's can be configured to run particular sets of aliases
> etc. as particular uses and/or groups.

"most" isn't good enough here.  I know from past experience :-)

In Elm (which I maintain), I set the configuration to use the 8BITMIME
option of MTAs (all of them have this, of course.)  Well, I was wrong; they
do not all have that, and so bugs reports started coming in and I had to
change it.  When dealing with stuff that talks to the mail server, the
unfortunate reality is that the lowest common set of features is what must be
used.