Re: Licenses for non-software works, and the definition of softw

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 11:41:39PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> > > 3) Licenses are generally not free
> > >   This is more or less a fact, actually.  The GPL does not give the
> > > permission to modify, notwithstanding the fact that some other licenses
> > > are very clearly derived works.
> > As it *has* to be...
>
> It doesn't have to be.  The GPL could say, for example, 'this license
> applies to the software which is put under it, as well as this document
> itself, when it is distributed with the software'.

Note that we _have_ the option to remove the GPL from the distribution as a
stand alone document, and often (always?), as Manoj rightfully claimed back
in the old threads, as part of the packages (I hope I get memories right
here). Nowhere it is said that you must distribute a copy of the GPL along
with the software. This is why the copyright notice often says "You should
have received a copy of the GPL...". It does not say that you must have
received it.

However, everyone agreed that it is at least polite to do so (some people
think it is even absurd to think of removing them, other are in favour).
Personally, I would be happy to exclude copyright documents from the general
rules for freeness. I know and respect that some people disagree here, and
I can see their point. There is little need to discuss this, I think. This
is something that must probably be voted on (if enough people are against
copyright documents in main, they can always raise the issue. You need
so-and-such seconders, read the constitution :)

> It doesn't, of course, say that.  And it doesn't with 'good' reasons,
> which RMS has explained, and which I disagree with.  But I think we're
> pragmatically going to have to live with.

Yes.

Marcus