Should non-free and contrib packages install to /opt?

Buddha Buck asks:

> Is there any particular reason (besides history and inertia) that
> non-free and contrip packages aren't installed into /opt?

Yes: it was discussed long & hard several years back.  The conclusion was
that the only truly scaleable solution was to use a completely flat
structure with "everything" in /usr/{bin,man,lib,include,...} and use the
package system to create package structure.  The only exception is X [1].

Debian is an open system so everything that is handled by dpkg *is* part of
(your) debian system.  IMO this is a consequence of our social contract.

They are, of course, not part of the OFFICIAL Debian distribution but that
is a different matter.

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

[1] I still disagree with treating X files different from other files!  It
is a continuing source of confusion for new packages (should xemacs go in
/usr/bin or /usr/X11R6/bin?).  IMHO Debian would be *really* nice if all X
binaries/includes/manuals were put with the rest (with the usual
compatibility links /usr/X11R6/bin -> /usr/bin etc.).

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr: LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7