Re: md5sums

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Optional perhaps? md5 hashing chews up a minor amount of time compared to
> the actuall disk io, especially when you do it as the data is flowing into
> the file you are writing.

I'll belive the author of apt knows what he's talking about on this one. :-)

> Putting it in dpkg means that automagically evey package suddenly has
> valid md5sum files.

The only problem with that is it means <gasp> modifying dpkg. :-)

> I booted linux on a embedded intel 386-33 without a coprocessor :> Fun
> Fun.

I currently have the 4th and 8th slowest linux machines listed in the
BogoMips HOWTO:

   Intel 286 Tandy           0.75  Joey Hess <joey@kite.ml.org>
   Intel 386 PS2             2.34  Joey Hess <joey@kite.ml.org>

Dpkg would actually run on the PS2, I think. If it had more than 2 mb or ram.
:-)

--
see shy jo