Re: Installing files in user directories

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> The current base-files installs a default .profile and/or a default
> .bashrc in /root if there is no existing instance. I filed a bug, but
> the maintainer (Santiago Vila) closed it with the following message:
>
> > [explanation of why *snipped*] I believe installing a default .profile
> > for root that contains a suitable PATH so that root's account is not
> > broken is not contrary to the policy or their spirit...but I really
> > think base-files has *good* reasons to install default dotfiles for
> > root if they do not exist.

I think packages should generally leave home directories alone, however
it's reasonable that required packages like base-files may install some
files to provide some sensible defaults, if they do not already exist.

In short, I agree with Santiago here.

	Martin.