Re: Call for Seconds, Take II

Hi,
>>"Joseph" == Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

 >> Actually, I think I object to this amendment as it stands,
 >> after reflection. Under the current policy, I always know where the
 >> changelog is, upstream, or Debian. This new blurring of the name by
 >> allowing mixde case makes for more confusion. I say that the name
 >> should be allowed, as long as there exists a symlink so that people
 >> looking for the debian's default location shall not be dissapointed.
 >>
 >> A symlink is not that hard to create in the rules file. And
 >> compatibility and consistency requirements are enough to
 >> justify the loss of an inode.

 Joseph> I'm not sure this is such a big issue.

	Umm.

 Joseph> Or at least, I think it's reasonable in the upstream
 Joseph> changelog to be as above, but I think Debian's should remain
 Joseph> changelog.Debian for consistancy's sake.

	Why is it so bad to ask for the upstream changelog to be
 *also* accessible by /usr/doc/<package>/changelog.gz, as it always
 has been on Debian?

 Joseph> Is this perhaps more reasonable?

	Yes, but not enough to warrant a change in policy to that
 extent. I suggest that the symlink solution is the best compromise.

	manoj
--
 The Constitution may not be perfect, but it's a lot better than what
 we've got!