Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> wrote:
> The term "not MOST things" has a tendency to bite you afterwards.

Hrm.. I just made a comment on debian-devel which was made without
noticing all this stuff on debian-policy about putting code into the
configuration language.  [I read debian-policy only a couple times a week,
so I can get a better feel for how things relate to each other].  So
maybe I'm a little biased here.  But...

There's more than one way to achieve "conditionally available responses".

For example, there's the way that they're generally handled on paper
"If yes, ....".

A variation on this would be to let the administrator decide how things
should be handled.  If the administrator is putting together several
hundred systems then any conditional stuff will probably need to be
answered both ways (assuming the local machine can have some override
configuration.

Or, for a one-off machine configuation, just focus on what's needed.
Maybe even let the prompting be instrumented from the postinst scripts (or
wherever) so that the configuration choices which can be distinguished by
examining the machine (what is the device driver for your mouse?) can be
used to supply defaults (or hints, because "defaults" implies a conflict
with pre-supplied defaults).

--
Raul