Re: Configuration management, revision 3

--> snip <--

    >> Even if the parser is (somewhat) complicated, we only need to
    >> implement it once.

    Antti-Juhani> Right.  It should be put in a shared library IMHO.

    Antti-Juhani> Oh, and BTW, I think this scheme should be
    Antti-Juhani> implemented so that it is not too Debian-specific.
    Antti-Juhani> I believe the whole GNU/Linux community should
    Antti-Juhani> benefit from this, and if we are lucky, we might get
    Antti-Juhani> people outside Debian to help in the maintenance,
    Antti-Juhani> too.

Rather than writing yet another language why don't we just use an
existing one ? Whilst it's true that you don't want to force a user to
learn say perl just so that he can write his software, it's surely
better that he learns the little bit of perl than some other language
which he can't use elsewhere ?

After all, most configuration scripts will be fairly standard so
presumably most people who don't know the language will just copy
something similar that's already been written.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield.