Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Joey Hess wrote:
> This latter obviously is more what we want. My point was that neither
> Wichert's proposal nor Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho's proposal accomplish this.

Forgot to add, I think the way to make Wichert's propsal implement this is
simply to break out a control file that lists all the values a package uses
in the database, descriptions of them, and their default values. This could
be another file in the control.tar.gz, dpkg just reads it when it installs a
package and tells the frontend to add all listed variables to the db if they
don't already exist (updating their descriptions too I think). Something like
this would serve:

Variable: xfig/color
Type: boolean
Default: true
 Xfig can operate in two modes, color and monochrome. Unless you have a
 monochrome display, or you find xfig too colorful, you should enable color.

Variable: foo/baz
..

Then just modify wichert's proposal so that the INPUT command looks like this:

INPUT variable

No type, no message. All this means now is that the frontend should ensure
that the user has been presented with this variable at some point.

The frontend takes the variable descriptions data and the user can browse
through that at will. They can also use the configure shell script inside a
package to walk through it sequentially.

--
see shy jo