Re: Configuration management, revision 3

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > You are missing what he is saying. The current proposal is that we write
> > basically a script to handle the configuration prompting. A script is
> > probably necessary, but I think it probably should be in the post/pre inst
> > not seperate..
>
> preinst/postinst is way to late, since we want all questions asked before
> we start physically unpacking the packages.

What are you trying to achive? Do you want some sort of tool to pre-scan
all the .debs, configure them then install?

A script is necessary in the pre/postinst no matter what you decide as
that is the only time configuration information can be transformed into
package config files.

A script MAY NOT be necessary to actually run the configuration. Bluntly,
if a script is needed for more than 15% of the cases then we have failed,
the system is too complex to work with.

> > Value: foo/configd
> > Type: boolean
> > Private: yes
> >
> > Which is ultimately more usefull?
>
> But you loose something there: the ability to decide if a question should
> be ask, unless you implement a dependency scheme. The menuconfig of the
> kernel already does that, but in a very simple way.

Is this important? It doesn't hurt if the question is asked, all that
happens is that the user becomes confused and a bit of space is wasted.

> > The other 'missing' fragment is what to do if the user changes a database
> > entry once the package is installed. It is important to leave that
> > possiblity open so in future we can have 'push' configuration.
>
> So you want the ability to add a trigger? You attach a trigger to a part
> of the database, and when the part is changed the trigger is triggered
> and gets to do something, like reconfigure a package?

Yep - but perhaps there are other ways than what you are describing..

Jason