Re: Configuration management and packages

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> wrote:
> a list of booleans sounds like a better choice. But then it's not a
> seperate type anymore, but simply multiple items of type 1 (boolean).

We're talking about a user-interface mechanism, and we haven't defined
an event-driven environment for dpkg installation and removal scripts
to exist in, so it's not quite that simple.

Or do we want to talk about creating a query system where the package
pre-registers its queries with dpkg, and dpkg is allowed to obtain the
answers to these questions before the package is unpacked? In some ways,
this would be a cleaner system, but I'm not sure if it would work for
packages with complex requirements.

Remember that some packages just run a program under /usr/sbin/ for
their prompting, and remember that apt will run dpkg multiple times,
and remember that some packages are currently introspecting to decide
whether or not the user should be prompted.

--
Raul