Re: Compressing *.db files in /usr/doc

Santiago Vila wrote:
> I have received a suggestion for debstd, namely, to not compress
> any *.db files found in /usr/doc/<package> by default.
>
> I'm in doubt about this change.
>
> Is not compressing *.db files in /usr/doc/<package> reasonable
> as default behaviour?
>
> Would debhelper maintainer do the same in debhelper?

No. I have reached a decision about what dh_compress will compress and it
is: it will continue to ignore .gif and .html files for backward
compatability with what debstd does now. Other than that, it will follow
policy which says compress everything except copyright and small files. If
people want this changed, they need to change policy, not ask for changes of
debhelper.

I also added a -X switch, so -X.db will cause *.db not to be compressed.

Anyhow, I think this request about *.db files in /usr/doc is frivilous.
I only see 4 such files in slink.

--
see shy jo, debhelper author