Re: bug #23953 ae: postinst does not check for errors

severity 23953 wishlist
quit

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Herbert Xu wrote:

> reopen 23953
> quit
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 07:54:26PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > The function of these scripts is to conditionally install ae as "EDITOR"
> > using alternatives. If this fails the rest of the ae install is not
> > effected, and ae will be fully functional.
>
> Sure, so there is no problem setting -e then.

If I set -e and update-alternatives fails then the script fails and the
install fails. Without set -e if update-alternatives fails, the script
does not, and the install succeeds.

The purpose of the set -e is to keep the script from continuing if there
is a failure early in the process. If the script is not aborted at that
time and continues the results could be disasterous. This is not the case
in this script.

> > As ae may be the only editor available at the moment, it would be
> > undesirable for the install/upgrade to fail because the
> > update_alternatives calls failed, leaving the machine without an editor
>
> How so? The only difference would be that now dpkg knows about it.  If
> update-alternatives is going to fail, it will fail whether or not you set -e.

Yes, and I don't care one twit about that failure, so I don't want it to
effect the rest of the installation, as it will if set -e is used.

> > I am closing this bug, but I think policy should reflect the reason set -e
> > is used, and when it is counter productive, its use should not be
> > required.
>
> I disagree.  You haven't given a good enough reason for it to not have -e.

Yes, I have. Since you don't agree, we need some third party arbitration,
which is why I cc'd the policy group in my original closing of this bug
report.

Until a policy decission is made, I see no value in continuing to insist
on a bug report.

> --
> Debian GNU/Linux 2.0beta is out! ( http://www.debian.org/ )
> Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>