Re: #24510: procmail: procmail creates mailboxes with mode 660

Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 06:01:31PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what you mean with "of course" but policy says:
> >
> > 4.5 Mail transport agents
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >    Mailboxes are generally 660 user.mail unless the user has chosen
> >    otherwise.
>
> OK, can someone provide that rationale for this please? It seems completely
> broken to me.
I believe this is done so that the mail agents, running as setgid mail are
able to append mail messages to your mailbox.  They generally don't run as
root.  At least in my inetd.conf:

smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ, PGP: AD 8D D8 63 6E BF C3 C7  47 41 B1 A2 1F 46 EC 90
|@work: csmall@scooter.o.i.net,            @play: vk2xlz@vk2xlz.ampr.org|