Re: EDITOR vs. VISUAL

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Hm, does anyone knows what is VISUAL exactly intendend for ?  I'm
> thinking of some setting like `EDITOR=ed' and `VISUAL=vi'.  If it's
> really what was meant for a use of VISUAL, I'd say it's not needed any
> more ...

Checking man pages and doc files from various debian packages suggests the
following:

  VISUAL is generally the name of the preferred `screen oriented' editor,
  if one is available. (e.g., vi, emacs, ae, ..., it is often set to vi)

  EDITOR is generally the name of the preferred `line oriented' editor,
  if one is available (e.g., ed, ex, ..., it is often set to ed)

  VISUAL, if it is defined, is generally preferred over EDITOR.

This might be specified in a spec somewhere (one of the POSIX specs?).