Re: Question on conf files

apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) writes:

> My reading shows that named zone databases should go in
> /var/state/named.  However, the existance of /var/nis and /var/yp make
> me think that /var/named makes more sense, and of course is in line
> with historical practice.  Can anyone enlighten this issue further?

Granted, I haven't given this a lot of thought, but my sort of "gut
instinct" about file placement has been that "tarring" up /etc on a
Debian machine should capture essentially all the things that make
that machine "unique" (minus local data, user data, and information
from the outside world like mail, news, lpr spools, etc...)  So for me
files controlling the DNS behavior of the machine would have fallen in
this category.

I'm not saying this is the "right" way to think about it, just
explaining where my reaction was based...