Re: shlibs in binary packages allowed at all or no?

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 07:54:31PM -0400, Gregory S. Stark wrote:
> apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) writes:
> > > Nothing else uses the shared libraries (they are only used between
> > > the various apt binaries).  In addition, the package was originally
> > > constructed to make it easy to download out of experimental and
> > > install.  Finally, I offer as precident, the dpkg package.
> Uhm, i expect dpkg probably predates the policy.

Actually, no, there wasn't a libdpkg until about a year ago.  LONG after we
had informally arrived at our shared library scheme.  That was one of the
first things Klee did, along with folding in Tom Lees i18n patches.

> It ought to be possible to have debhelper automatically split off library
> package, the contents are very predictable. Then it should be possible to
> have the APT GUI automatically install and deinstall needed libraries --
> without prompting the user. That should make all of this pretty painless
> both for the maintainer and the user.

Urk---it's not _totally_ predictable.  And what if debhelper has, !horrors!,
a bug or two?

Mike.