Re: Replacing/phasing out PGP (was Re: Idea for non-free organization)

Hi,

 James> jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl writes:
 >> How difficult would it be to extend our infrastructure (new maintainer
 >> acceptance; developer-keyring; dpkg-dev) with support for gpg?

 James> But this will bite lots of current maintainers who try to build
 James> packages and get flummoxed when build/dpkg-buildpackage starts moaning
 James> "gpg command not found" and they then have to be told to do -ppgp.  If
 James> pgp stays as default we have to tell all new maintainers to use -pgpg
 James> because their PGP keys won't be in the Debian keyring.  It's not a
 James> nice situation, and I would like to hear what others think.

	Can we possibly change dpkg-buildpackage to check for gpg, and
 then pgp, and not to fall flat on it's face when something is not
 found? Like use gpg by preference, or use pgp if available, or gently
 wanr the use that pgp does not exist and hence packages shall not e
 signed, and please remember to sign before uploading?

	Inflexibility in code, especially one so easily fixed, is an
 anathema.

	manoj
--
 "I believe the use of noise to make music will increase until we
 reach a music produced through the aid of electrical instruments