Idea for non-free organization

Manoj probably won't like this, since it borders on giving legal advice, but
here goes:

Instead of splitting non-free into different directories like cd-ok (etc etc
etc), why can't we put another tag into the package's control file, called
'Redistribution:', and set it to values like 'dfsg', 'cd', 'commercial',
'exclusive', 'government', 'ftp', all of which could be excluded with 'no-'?

We could even do stuff like 'no-export' for non-us packages, and perhaps put
in stuff like 'fails-dfsg-#'.

My feeling is that once a package acquires a tag like 'fails-dfsg-6' or
'no-government', it will be easier to catch accidental uploads to main, and
it will be more obvious to the developer where they were led astray.

And it can't hurt to put a big huge disclaimer across the whole thing.

Keep in mind Policy section 2.1:

* We want to make as much software available as we can.

* We want to encourage everyone to write free software.

* We want to make it easy for people to produce CD-ROMs of our system
  without violating any licenses, import/export restrictions, or any
  other laws.

Making all our vendors decide for themselves what is legal to put on a CD
does not further goals 1 and 3.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@oz.net
"Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses" -- Richard Gabriel