Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

On 27 Jun 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Well, if we are to use ~ as a the symbol that compares
>  lower than everything; please do not change how debian revisions are
>  separated from the upstream version(split at the last hyphen); Also,
>  consider allowing a ~ to be in either the Debian revision and/or the
>  upstream version. Therefore, ~ becomes an valid character in
>  upstream versions and debian revions(with special sort semantics),
>  but everything else in ch 5 of the packaging manual holds.

I was thinking simply adding a new rule that says if you have two groups
and one group is a ~ character then the ~ character looses in all cases.

The provision for '~' < '~0' requires a bit of a tweak to the way it
compares numbers, but is quite doable.

What will it take to get this accepted - assume we can get all the code in
place, including a dpkg patch.

Jason