Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

It just occured to me that there is another case where we want to have
different compare semantics. Consider what we do with APT, a bo release
and a hamm release,

Right now we do:

0.0.17-1
0.0.17-0bo1

And .18 will do

0.0.18.1
0.0.18.0bo

But it occures to me that with some of the proposals here we can do

0.0.18
0.0.18~bo

How does everyone else feel about the '~ compares less than everything`
idea? It seems like it could solve a few other problems - for instance
what do the bo-updates people do when they recompile dpkg? They don't have
the luxury of being able to change the hamm release number.

Jason