virtual package versions?

I took a look at putting virtual package versions into dpkg, and
realized that there were some undefined issues:

(1) If a package provides a package version and some other package
conflicts with that package version, this would be a conflict, right? [I
suspect we'll eventually regret this.]

(2) A package should be able to provide multiple versions of a virtual
package, right? [See (1) for one of the implications]

Also note that I'm deliberately blurring the distinction between virtual
packages and packages which provide "real package names"... I could not
find any policy on providing non-virtual packages.

I don't like this blurred distinction, but at the moment I'm not sure
how it should be best addressed.

--
Raul