Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

Hi,
>>"Yann" == Yann Dirson <ydirson@mygale.org> writes:

 Yann> Needed: Some technical info about why people consider epochs as bad.
 Yann> It seems most arguments only used aesthetic reasons.  Please someone
 Yann> correct me if I'm wrong.

	You'd be hard pressed to find any. One possible reason could
 be that the actual ordering of numbers would be confusing to humans
 (since epochs are not encoded in files names, epochs can be used to
 set up ordering of revisions in a fashion that is totally different
 from what one may assume looking at the names of the files)

	However, in the cases being discussed, epochs make a lot of
 sense, since humans already know that pre version numbers are ower
 than final releases.

	Not using epochs ranks in the same order as not stepping on
 *ANY* cracks while walking on the sidewalk. (Anyone seen the movie
 "as good as it gets"?)

	manoj

--
 "Take Idaho's license plates - they say 'Famous Potatoes.'  Then
 there's New Hampshire - their license plates say 'Live Free ... or