Re: Summary: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Giuliano P Procida wrote:

> Having just re-read the section in the packaging manual, I note that
> dpkg does not chop version numbers by '.' but into non-numeric and
> numeric components [/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/ch-versions.html].

Why hasn't anyone suggested that we assign meaning to words? It seems to
me that we often have 'pre' this or 'beta' that, so why don't me make it
so

2.0.7alpha < 2.0.7beta < 2.0.7pre < 2.0.7 < 2.0.7 foo

Then if the upstream author doesn't follow our view of progression we use
epochs.

Jason