Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

On Sat, Jun 06, 1998 at 02:52:10PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
> I don't know if just a plain makefile like debian/rules is enough
> though.  I think a more powerful approach is to use a configure-style
> script to generate the debian/rules file.  I'm doing this with some of
> the Gnome packages.

If mico uses something other than hand-editing to enable the Qt stuff,
perhaps it would be enough to look for the existence of the Qt, and if it
exists, configure for Qt, else configure without Qt.

You'll also need to dynamically generate the control file, but that's not
too hard---glibc does it, for instance.  I would envision adding the Qt
stuff at the end of the file, and prefixing all those lines with, e.g.,
'CONDITIONAL:'.  Then you can use a pair of perl one-liners early in
debian/rules:

perl -ne 's/^CONDITIONAL://g; print' < debian/control.in > debian/control
perl -ne 'next if m/^CONDITIONAL:\s*/; print' < debian/control.in > debian/control

You could probably do it with sed, but I don't know sed as well.

This doesn't seem to me---as an alpha porter---to be much of an impediment
to autobuilding or the like.  The packages in main can be built without
non-main packages, or with.

Mike.