Re: Stripping ELF .note and .comment sections?

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 10:43:11PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 11:03:14PM +0200, Topi Miettinen wrote:
> > > Compiler version information could be useful (to detect old compiler
> > > output), but that is already in /usr/doc/foo/buildinfo.Debian and the
> > > version in .comment does not specify entire Debian version.
> >
> > Q: isn't buildinfo.Debian a debstdism not reflected in debhelper?
>
> Yes.

However, I think removing the two mentioned sections can be stripped anyway.

buildinfo is an orthogonal issue (as the info in the section isn't really
helping --- just the version of the compiler, nothing else). I would say we
can drop it. We have it in a lot of packages for a long time.

Has anybody ever made of use of it ?

All files are very small (< 200 bytes). Every file is occupying one block
(this are 4096 bytes, IIRC). In my system (far from complete), there are 68
buildinfo.Debian files. This makes 272 Kbytes, space that can be better used
by me. (I have to admit, I have not enough disk sapce anyway).

If every package had one, the occupied space would jump to (1300 packages *
4 Kb) 5200 Kbyte, or 5.2 MB.

Marcus