Re: csh-considered-harmful is a lintian warning??

Hi,
>>"Herbert" == Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

Herbert> Hi: Surely this kind of religious zeal should not be
Herbert> reflected in lintian.

	religious zeal? Those are indeed loaded words, and tend to
 invoke knee jerk reactiosn.

	I, too, agree with the csh-considered-harmful paper: csh has
 limitations when it comes to writing scripts. And it is not just I
 who hold this opinion, there are numerous others, and indeed, most
 UNIX liminaries, have expressed a similair belief.

	I think that the majority of cases where a csh script is
 attempted is by novices who are not aware of the pitfalls (not that I
 am implying that you are one, of course). I think a Lintian warning
 is justified on those grounds, even if were not mandated by existing
 policy.

Herbert> I'm at a loss at explaining how it even made it to our
Herbert> policy.  Hence I propose it be both removoed from the policy
Herbert> and lintian.

	I do believe this is not enough reason to change _anything_.
 We have extant policy, there is a rationale behind it; I think more
 than a mere statement of personal preference is needed to mobilize a
 policy discussion.

--
 New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way
 ahead of you. David Letterman