Re: Apology to the authors of helper packages

Zed Pobre wrote:
>     And here is where I'd like to start.  Manoj has been gruff.  He has
> been cynical.  He has been, arguably, downright unfriendly at his worst.
>     He's also been consistently helpful.  Even when I was lurking and
> not contributing, I remember seeing consistent snippets of code
> floating by with his name in the From: header, detailing this or that.
I fully agree.  He is quite helpful in many lists, also on irc.  I have no
problem with "Manoj's helpfullness".

> packaging, it was Manoj who wrote me a short example script that once
> I understood it got transcribed almost exactly into the postinst file.
> And the next time I see that kind of problem, I'll know what code to
> look at.  At the risk of sounding like an armchair psychologist, I'd
That's great, for you.  Unfortunately that information is now lost or hard
to find.  We need to capture this sort of stuff and either code it or
document it.

> > I see this email list providing two basic "services" for me and
> > other developers.  The first is that dh_make and friends may not
> > meet the policy, we need to know where these differences are.
>
>     You mean deb-make?  I don't have a dh_make command on my system...
> Am I missing something?
dh_make is in project/experimental.  It will probably get merged with
debhelper soon.

>     Actually, just fixing up the documentation (packaging manual, etc)
> would be of the greatest help.  At least for single-binary packages, the
I fully agree.  It is very hard to write documentation, it is even harder
to write some sort of abstracted meta-documentation (because we cannot
write policy for specific packages).

>     Looking back upon what I've just written, I'm wondering...  why is
> this still being discussed in debian-policy, anyway?
The issue of debhelper scripts came up on here.  As Manoj? said, I think,
the debhelper scripts can be thought of as an implementation of the
Debian policy.

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ, PGP: AD 8D D8 63 6E BF C3 C7  47 41 B1 A2 1F 46 EC 90
|@work: csmall@scooter.o.i.net,            @play: vk2xlz@vk2xlz.ampr.org|