Re: Extending version numbering (Was: glibc_2.0.7pre1-3)

"Adam P. Harris" <apharris@onshore.com> writes:

> It would be theoretically possible, and I think, enormously desirable to
> have some sort of "sub-epoch", say call it 'X-Y:<ver>', such that it
> overrides only Y subversions into the upstream version:
>     2.0.8-1 greater-than 1-3:2.0.7-1 greater-than  2.0.7pre1
>
> Do you see what I'm getting at?  A standard epoch could in fact be
> represented as, i.e., '1-0:', that is, overriding in every case, and
> could have the short-hand notation of the epoch we currently have, i.e.,
> '1'.

I think I understand, and I think it would be fine.  It would
certainly eliminate the once an epoch, always an epoch problem that
seems to bother some developers...

But it doesn't matter unless someone's willing to hack dpkg.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>