Re: Please don't remove size info from pkgs.

[You (Yann Dirson)]
>However, I would strongly advise not to use a standalone file like old
>.du files and .md5sums: the largest part of these files is occupied by
>the filenames, which are already profided by .list files.
>
>I'd suggest that we evolve towards a new generic control-file (say
>package.fileinfo), that will possibly evolve with time, as need for
>new/alternate info arise. As an example, it could look like:
>
>====
># name:md5sum:size
>/a/file:236d8059a2244a31aacc8e127e86f5c0:1234
>/another/file:236d8059a2244a31aacc8e127e86f5c0:5678
>====

Hmmm.  While I agree with we should probably rip up the control file
syntax for Debian 2.1, I disagree that we should invent a restrictive,
proprietary format such as this.  Instead, I think we should use a
controlled SGML/XML DTD and let the control files instance the data that
way.

Let's embrace open standards and open-ended architectures as deeply as we
can.