Re: xbase: the .Xdefaults issue

    Branden> Well, the startx.cpp that ships with the XFree86 sources
    Branden> sets userresources to ~/.Xresources.  If those guys use
    Branden> ~/.Xdefaults, then they've changed it.

    Branden> This sounds like the kind of issue that should be fought
    Branden> over on debian-devel or debian-policy.  Wanna raise it
    Branden> there?

Sure, I'm Cc:ing it there.

To those of us who are just joining in, here's the scoop:

The XFree86 sources as shipped use ~/.Xresources as the default
place for user X resources. Every other Unix in the world uses
the file ~/.Xdefaults. I think we should support both by
default, not just ~/.Xresources.

    Branden> It would probably be unwise to source both Xdefaults and
    Branden> Xresources if they both exist.  They may have different
    Branden> and/or conflicting contents, and even if they are
    Branden> identical, X resources can step on each other in
    Branden> counter-intuitive ways.

I actually meant we should test if Xresources exists, and use that
if so, and then if Xresources didn't exist, try Xdefaults.

That'd be pretty safe and easy to implement.

--
Brought to you by the letters F and S and the number 2.
"Porco ga daisuki!" -- Fio, "Porco Rosso"