Re: gcc or cc?

Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:

> Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > When considering poratibility and code cleaness, the only answere one
> > can give to this question is "CC=cc".
> >
> > No sourcecode should rely on gcc or any of its extensions. And if it
> > doesn`t use any gcc specific stuff, it should not rely on gcc.
>
> I disagree. However would we compile a kernel without gcc and its extensions?
> IMO the default compiler for Debian should be the one Linus uses for the
> kernel. This is currently gcc.
>
> 	Martin.

I compiled and used egcc compiled kernels on my systems without any
problems. :) But generally, the kernel isn't a normal programm and
sits outside the rule. Its a special case. It has inline asm and all
other ugly inportable stuff inside. It heaviely relies on some gcc
bugs and their workarounds.

What I said was for normal programms, like bash or emacs. I frequently
use the debian source to compile stuff for hpux or aix or with
different compilers. I found that the debian sources work cleanly,
because they don't rely on special compiler stuff (for the most
parts). Well, some programm esspecially need gcc, but one shopuld keep
them in minority.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin