Re: Another suggestion

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Could we add a Date header for the date a package was built in the package and
> the Packages file? I think this would be generically useful and I have a
> specific purpose in mind.

I think this would be generically useful.  It would take a while from the
time that it actually became policy until the time when all the packages
had been updated to make this useful.  It would also have to be done in
a way that did not break existing tools that access Packages.gz

> My specific idea was to add a feature to dselect/apt to select for update any
> package that hadn't been modified in the past N days. That would reduce the
> bandwidth needs by only downloading packages that aren't under active rapid
> development and waiting for a quiescent period when no uploads are needed.

What might be more practical would be for you to run your own local mirror
that only mirrored the desired files.  You would have to put some logic
into your mirroring software such as:
  Only download packages that are older than N days.
  Don't download packages depending on a package newer than N days.
  more?

You could do this now using the date stamps of the actual .deb files,
without waiting for a policy change.

Putting it into apt/dselect would not only complicate the tools and UI,
but would put us on a 'slippery slope of suggestions' as people decided
that they liked staying N days behind the bleeding edge, but not for their
favorite (quickly changing) package, and would want an option to set the
N factor for individual packages.  Many would be disappointed that they
are not getting bug fixes fast enough, and would want a new field that
specified if the package fixed an important bug, which would override
the date filters.  We would have to keep old packages on the mirrors
for at least N days so that people 'behind the bleeding edge' could
install packages where the latest version isn't ripe yet, and this would
balloon the space requirements for the mirrors.

And allowing a user-selectable N would increase the combinations of
package versions being run out in userland, and would expose more
cross-package dependency bugs.  (debatable whether this would be a good
or a bad thing).

Anyway, it just sounds yucky to me.

-Mitch