Re: md5sums

Previously Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> Sure, but including a tiny md5sums file in with the package is pretty
> simple and requires very little effort on everyone's part.

Not everyone wants to use md5sums probably, since breaking them is
becoming feasible at the moment. It might be better to let dpkg
generate the checksum and let the user define what kind of checksum
he wants (filesize,md5,crc32,etc.).

> Personally, what I'm more interested in is having the debsums tools'
> functionality built-in to dpkg.

Indeed, this is one of the things which rpm does better then dpkg
I think. I do think it should be a seperate tool: we should not
fall into the trap of making dpkg do everything, like rpm does
(rpm will be split in the very near future apparently).

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl