Re: Comments on new archive setup

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 03:24:46PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> There have been some discussion about a new setup for the archive to
> better represent import & export problems. I want to make a few remarks
> which I think people should consider:
>
> * I think we should always have a `main archive' that can be mirrored
>   everywhere without having to play weird tricks with mirror. We should
>   put a mirror configuration somewhere to show people how to do this.

Problem is that everywhere there's going to be a stupid law that is going to
translate to "this package isn't allowed here"  I'm waiting for M$ to be
granted a patent for what essentially boils down to a kernel.

> * This main archive *should not have unmet dependencies*.

Reasonable, in fact I would say anything else is UNreasonable.

> * We should look at the reason why packages can't be exported from a country
>   instead of which country does or doesn't allow it. Laws can change,
>   and such changes should easily be reflected in our achive setup.

Agreed, but the problem is how do we do that without making a mess of the
mirror process?

> * If we decide to make a debian-restricted archive we will have to make a
>   nice & easy to setup tool for mirrors to use to setup mirror or rsync,
>   otherwise we will loose mirrors since mirroring will become way to
>   complex.

I think a generic "restricted" archive isn't going to work in the end.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.