Re: Configuration management / proposal

Previously Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Read Ian's argument. This design make it difficult to say : "Now I
> want to remove all mail-transport-agent/* keys".

Sorry to say this, but this is complete and utter nonsense. The only
difference was if you used a virtual database that can consist of
multiple sources or a single database. How you access that database
is the same for both ides.

> And the need to have access to multiple database can be done through a
> database merging.

Which adds an extra step to the process that is not necessary imho.

> Of course. The only thing to do is to change the dcfg program and add
> support for other DB.

So you win nothing: either you have a very complicated dcfg program or
a couple of frontends that use a somewhat complicated library implementing
the same.

> In a way or in a other, you must specify what questions have to be asked,
> and i don't know what would be more difficult, write an appropriate script
> or describe the questions and set a "priority to a question"...

We don't want to write scripts unless it's necessary evil. For a *lot* of
packages the questions are so simple a script is complete overkill..

> The script approach _is more flexible_ in all the cases. It allow those
> who want to manage all themselves to do it and other to use helper programs.

My design also used scripts, so I don't see why this would be more flexible.

> Huh ? The program that does call dpkg --preconfigure can provide a way
> of lauching dpkg --preconfigure for the next/previous package.

ooh.. you just invented recursion. Can you image how many processes there
will be if someone move forward and back again 50 times?

> And how would it be managed by your system ? Since the frontend is lauched
> every time by dpkg, the same problem exist...

Indeed. I was going to fix that :)

> I do not feel well, when I can't edit configuration with a rescue floppy
> and vi. And what about if a guy doesn't want to install dcfg*.deb ?
> Should the package using the db as configuraion file depends on it ?

So? I never said the implementation couldn't use a textfile. In fact I
explicitly said you can have different formats so the user can choose
which he wants by simply editing a textfile that lists the driver.

> Well, i don't like all those centralized things that become "essential"
> with the time if you want to use some simple programs... and furthermore
> i don't like Debian programs becoming more and more Debian specific.

And I see no reason such a configuration database (or registry if you
prefer that name) should be limited to Debian..

Wichert.