Re: Should -dev and -dbg libary packages depend on ${Source-Version}?

    Richard> Ben Gertzfield wrote:

    Richard> So I was thinking it'd be nice to warn developers of
    Richard> shared library packages that they should have the -dev
    Richard> file depend with a versioned depends on the real lib
    Richard> file.

    Richard> Either that or make the .so link point to the soname
    Richard> link, instead of to the actual library.  Then the link is
    Richard> more robust.

Unfortunately, the Packaging Manual states the opposite of this:

(chapter 12)

   Firstly, your package should install the shared libraries under their
   normal names. For example, the libgdbm1 package should install
   libgdbm.so.1.7.3 as /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1.7.3.

(snip)

   Secondly, your package should include the symlink that ldconfig would
   create for the shared libraries. For example, the libgdbm1 package
   should include a symlink from /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 to
   libgdbm.so.1.7.3.

(snip)

   Thirdly, the development package should contain a symlink for the
   shared library without a version number. For example, the libgdbm1-dev
   package should include a symlink from /usr/lib/libgdm.so to
   libgdm.so.1.7.3.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters Z and M and the number 7.
"I put my feet on the Ottoman.. Empire." -- Moxy Fruvous