Re: proving a bug is gone

Daniel Martin <dtm12@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps a "checklist" of manual tests for bugs combined with an
> automated script to check for bugs that can be tested that way (Hmm -
> perhaps a strongly suggested /usr/doc/<package>/bugfixlist ?) might be
> an option, but really I'd just prefer to rely on maintainer competence
> not to reintroduce bugs.

I'd be happy with a checklist, if that's the best way of testing for
the bugs.  [Especially since a checklist can later serve as a frame-work
for someone coding up a test harness.]

But I think it's important to realize that this is a group project --
it's not necessarily the maintainer who is going to reintroduce the bug.
Also, when the maintainer changes, a lot of experience is lost, and a
set of tests is a very nice sanity check for someone who is still coming
up to speed on the package.

--
Raul