Re: FHS - transition

Quoting Ian Jackson (ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk):
> This is explicitly NOT WHAT WE HAVE PROMISED OUR USERS.
>
> For years, we have promised them INCREMENTAL UPGRADEABILITY.  We broke
> that promise in 2.0, and I hope we never break it again.
>
> It is IMO _essential_ that a user can take a single package out of
> the new release without having to upgrade a dozen large and unrelated
> programs.

Hmm. Try installing sendmail from slink on a hamm system. And no one
seems to be addressing that either. Or try dropping the latest apt into
hamm. I'm starting to doubt that any debian release will be 'partially
upgradeable,' but that's probably not a big issue since older releases
are dropped instantly on upgrade...

Mike Stone