Re: RfD: Policy of .sh boot scripts

Hi,

	*This is opinion*.

	I would not have expected the init.d scripts to be generally
 sourced by rc, and woud be surprised not to have them regular
 standalone scripts (I often call them manually, as in
 # /etc/sendmail reload)

	So, I, for one, would prefer them to be stand alone
 scripts. It is safer for rc, too, this way, since if they can be
 called in a subshell we get some chance to trap errors.

 >	 b) All scripts in /etc/init.d, /etc/rc.boot and similar directories
 >   have to be standalone shell scripts.  They must have the 'x' flag
 >   turned on and contain a regular command to execute them in the
 >   first line (such as "#! /bin/sh").  They must not be called *.sh.

	I see no harm in letting them be called *.sh, however. I know
 of no convention that says *.sh files are files that have to be
 sources, and can't be executable. In fact. all my shell scripts start
 off life as *.sh scripts.

	manoj
--
 The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get
 up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to school.