Re: FHS - transition

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
> On 10 Oct 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> > 2. info browsers, manual pagers, terminfo libraries, etc., are
>
> Yes, but where is the info program that looks in both directories?
> Before saying "this must be done in this way" I would like to be sure that
> effectively it may be done and someone will do it.

What possible assurance could I give you?

I think, say, filiing important bugs on the relevant packages would
suffice to ensure that the issue is fixed prior to the release.
Clearly I'm not proposing to do this now -- no, only once we've
resolved to transition (gently) to FHS.

> > The only sticky point, really, is /usr/doc.  Moving that to
> > /usr/share/doc is going to be difficult.  Maybe we could just avoid
> > that....?

> Installing new FHS-compliant packages that replace the old ones
> should be enough.

Um.  Have you seen the dwww and dhelp packages?  /usr/doc is used for
web-enable documentation browsing.  Having both /usr/doc and
/usr/share/doc will be problematic.