Re: Proposal: Reject packages that violate policy

Darren Benham wrote:
> I have just heard that, as strange as it sounds, it's not part of policy to
> reject a package from incoming that violates policy.  THEREFORE, I propose that
> it be made part of policy to reject from incoming packages that contain policy
> errors and that the standard of measure be the program lintian.  Any package
> with lintian *errors* be rejected.

Please think about each rejection on its own.  Generally I understand this
and it has my support.  However our current way to do things doesn't always
imply that the packages are fully policy compliant.  For example our current
policy doesn't force the maintainer of a package to write a manpage for each
and every program.  Thus lintain will shout for policy-violation.  Now the
maintainer could simply link ../man7/undocumented to the appropriate place
and lintian would be silent.  However without a bugreport this is not the
proper action.

Or think about binary-only non-free packages.

> This would not affect existing packages until they were uploaded to incoming
> for some change.

I feel that the correct step in this direction would be to include the
lintian output in the return mail from dinstall so the maintainer gets
feedback about the problems.

Regards,

	Joey

--