Re: terminology issues: distributions, sections, subsections

Guy Maor <maor@debian.org> writes:
> Just put non-free and contrib as part of the section.  bash is in the
> base section.  xv is in the non-free/graphics section.

Hmm.  From a taxonomic standpoint, I don't like this, because now when
I'm talking about sections, I could either mean "non-free" or "base".
Even worse, I would speak of the "non-free section of the slink
distribution", which implies that non-free is part of Debian per se.

However, this latter complaint is a complaint with the status quo
situation also.  Guy's recommendation also has the benefit of bring
'debian/control' usage into line with terminology.

So as I see it, Guy votes for keeping status quo, but remove the
taxonomic distinction (i.e., flatten the terms for) 'section' and
'subsection'.

Thoughts?  I think I agree with Guy, but I want more backing before I
open a bug against policy and the packaging manual and fix the
developers reference.