Re: RFC: Acknowledge important stuff by pressing RET on install time.

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> > Currently some package stop at installation time asking the user to
> > press RET to be sure he reads very important stuff.
> >
> > What about mailing that stuff to root, as well as displaying on the

No no no.

> > console _without_ stopping, instead?  I assume people not installing a
> > MDA know what they do.
>
> You can't depend on a working mail setup unless the first installation
> has finished.

Exactly.  Also, I have seen lots of machines where root's mail is never
read (of course there's a problem there).

There should be an install log.  The lack of such for dselect is one of
the (many) frustrations I have with it (i haven't done a debian installation
for about a year but i have not seen a log file yet).

All the commercial unices (that I can remember - solaris, hpux, aix at least)
write messages both to a log file and the console and tell you where to find
the log file after installation.