terminology issues: distributions, sections, subsections

Branden, in your suggested patch, you say:

<!-- aph: the APT documentation calls your sections "components" and
your subsections "sections" -- either this reference should change or
APT should -->

Let me clarify and justify how I am using the terminology.  I'm going
into some depth here, and bringing it up on the Policy list, since
this is the second time I've been "corrected" about the use of terms.

distribution:

  A set of packages which make up a general release of Debian.  This
set may either represent an actual released version of Debian, a
proposed set of packages, or a "vestigal" distribution such as
"experimental".

  examples:                     stable, unstable, slink, hamm, bo

section:

  A "sub-distribution" which defines a set of packages based on their
compliance with the DFSG or other factors.  "Official" Debian is
always only the "main" section of a distribution.

  examples:                     main, contrib, non-free
  /usr/doc/apt/guide.sgml term: component
  policy citation:
     Thus, the archive is split
     into the sections *main*, *non-us*, *non-free*, and *contrib*.

subsection:

  A further breakdown of a section, generally based on what type of
function the package fulfills.  For the most part, the function of the
subsection is simply to facilitate ad hoc browsing of packages.
Defined by the archive maintainers.

  examples: base, admin
  /usr/doc/apt/guide.sgml term: section
  policy citation:
     2.1.7. Subsections
     ------------------
     The packages in the *main*, *contrib*, and *non-free* sections are
     grouped further into *subsections* to simplify handling of them.

Further muddling the issue, the following can be found in
debian/control files:

  Section: misc

or

  Section: contrib/text

Needless to say, I've backed out the apt-ish changes you suggested for
the developer's reference.  If you would like the apt terms generally
adopted, then you should lobby the Policy group.  If not, please file
a bug against apt for muddling the waters even further.