Re: /usr/local in some packages

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 01:28:27PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> > After purging emacs today, the damn thing deleted my /usr/local symlink since
> > it was the last package to have /usr/local in it.  Obviously this is not very
> > clever.
>
> Would have this happened if base-files contained /usr/local as an empty
> directory?

Well, maybe.  But then people may start using /usr/local/lib and you will end
up adding that to base-files and maybe even more.  The real solution is the
one people have been talking about and seem to be the current policy, i.e., to
create /usr/local directories in the postinst and never remove them.