Re: ip-{up,down}.d scripts

> ip-{up,down}.d scripts take no parameter at this time, so any new parameter
> would be ignored.  I think it would be reasonable to add the init.d ability
> and depreciate the older method, maintaining it for compatibility.  The new
> files would be symlinks, so...

There's problem with this proposal.

The current setup allows you to force scripts to be executed in a fixed order,
by naming them like this, for example:

  ip-up.d/00local-ipfwadm
  ip-up.d/10local-qmail
  ip-up.d/99local-getmail

So that in this example the ipfwadm setup happens before anything else.  For
the ip-down scripts you are likely to want a different order (i.e. ipfwadm
last) but not necessarily just the reverse order.

---

Another thing that people tend to miss is that these scripts get run for every
ppp link that goes up and down, including inbound connections and connections
to non-ISP sites.

Most of the suggestions that people come up with for ip-up/down scripts assume
that the only link on the machine is going to be the one to an ISP.  These
scripts can be something of a disaster on more complicated setups, and so IMO
should not be installed by default.

I'd like to come up with a way of dealing with the more complicated
permutations of PPP links and ip-up/down setups in a consistent way, but so
far I've not been able to think of a way to do it without causing some people
problems --- any suggestions gratefully accepted :-)

On my main PPP system, I do it by setting ``ipparam'' to ``internet'' for
the connections to my ISPs, so that I can have a case ${PPP_IPPARAM} ...
statement in the ip-{up,down}.d scripts.  Any other suggestions need to be
able to deal with something like this.

Cheers, Phil.